Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Flamingoes~Nature Notes 090910


There are currently 4 baby flamingoes over at the Marriott Desert Springs and this morning I went over there right at sunrise to see if I could see any of them. One must be a newborn as it was still in its hole, barely peeking out. But, 3 more were out. This one was surrounded by adults for protection and it went paddling along right with the adults and even dove for a tasty morsel in the pond. I hope to go back in the morning, if I have time, and take some photos before going off to school! The babies are little gray bundles of feathers. If you click on the photo to enlarge it, you'll see the baby. Nature Notes for September 9, 2010.

3 comments:

  1. I love the way the adults look after the babies. I know it is the way of all of nature, but there is something magical about it when you see it in motion. I once got to watch a herd of buffalo ford a river and the mothers allowed their young to be caught by the river just enough to scare them and show them the force of the river. But for an hour it happened again and again, each mother in turn teaching the baby what the river is about. Then the men took their time crossing when the women and children were safely ashore. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lost my comment...if you change the comments setting from the default of embedded to pop-up, it will be easier to leave a comment because some browsers like my firefox won't display this properly. I went back to IE...

    Lovely photo...I don't see those beautiful birds here in NY. Thank you so much for sharing them for Nature Notes...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful shot. I don't think I've ever seen flamingos in the wild.

    ReplyDelete