Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

vulture! Camera Critters 090410











During my last visit to the Living Desert Reserve, I arrived early and entered the bird house. There was a vulture there and I enjoyed taking these photos of him/her. I don't know which it was! Did you know that vultures usually do not kill their food, although I have read that they will occasionally kill a small mammal. Maybe somebody can enlighten me? Anyway, I see a pair of them once in a while as I drive up deep canyon and I see another pair over the horse ranch in our mountains where I board my horses. They have a large wing span and it is interesting to watch them catch the thermals and soar. I remember one time, when I boarded Sunni, my gelding, over in the Indio Hills. A whole flock of vultures came overhead and I stopped to watch them. I don't know if they had just feasted on something and were heading out, but it was an incredible sight. In fact, I jumped in my car and followed them for a while, until they headed off over Joshua Tree National Park. I always feel like it is a gift to see these incredible birds. Did you know their wing span is from 7 to 10 FEET? Amazing!!! Camera Critters for September 4, 2010.

1 comment:

  1. Hiya,
    What an imposing bird. So not dangerous to humans then. Unless they are past it:-)
    Amazing how the wild life differs between your surroundings and ours.

    ReplyDelete