Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Blue jays~Nature's Notes~062812







I really miss the blue jays who were up in the cabin.  I believe the same species is up in Idyllwild~Stellar's jays.  They were huge!  The first morning I awoke at 5:15 a.m., one of them was hanging on the frame of the kitchen window, peering in at me!  I'm sure he was thinking, "FEED ME!", which I promptly did.  I put peanuts out all along the railing and sat and watched.  A momma squirrel came down from the tree right next to the porch and I counted 5 blue jays soon appeared and EVERY peanut disappeared. I really enjoyed watching the antics of the blue jays.  Sometimes one would pick a peanut and then put it back and take another one!  There was also a hierarchy among them.  There were a couple timid ones, but there were also a couple of huge males.  I awoke every morning early up at the June Lake cabin to eagerly feed them their peanuts.  I miss them.  My scrub jay is still in our neighborhood (for 3 years now...) and I put out peanuts and acorns for him when we arrived safely home.  Nature Notes for June 28, 2012.  Ge on over to Nature Notes at:   http://ramblingwoods.com/

3 comments:

  1. I love Jays! They have so much personality. Great photos also. We used to have one that would come into our house for peanuts. He never flew around though. He'd land on the porch and walk in. He'd then walk around looking for a peanut. Of course we always had the for him and his friend.

    My current post and pics are from the Idyllwild area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want personality..it is a jay..they are such peanut hogs...but so much fun to watch..hope you are feeling better by now...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...I feel normal again! Totally destressed and OVER the stupid cold! Thank you for asking! :-)

    ReplyDelete