Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Around the ranch






You know, I don't often post photos of the horse ranch where I board my horses and I really should!  I spent a morning last week just walking around, observing all the other animals there.  Rabbits were out feeding on the hay pellets dropped by the horses and two ravens were awaiting their turn.  The lizards were out sunning themselves and doing pushups and the snake lizard nearly gave me a heart attack!  He's HUGE! (4th photo down from the top).  There are about a dozen baby hummingbirds buzzing around the 4 feeders, which the ranch owner has to fill daily.  There is a family of quail up there, but they mostly stay in the bushes. I hear one of them every now and then and yesterday a woodpecker was busy pecking something. There are numerous rabbits who also feed on the dropped horse pellets and I just sat and watched them one morning.  They quietly and cautiously moved among the horses' feet, but not once did the horses scare them.  There's a family of ravens who live on the ranch, along with the quail, doves, woodpeckers, and hummingbirds.  Oh, and some very noisy scrub jays live there, too.  I'm always finding lizards out by my feed and tack room and one morning, while I was cleaning out my tack box, the cutest little white and brown mouse popped out.  I screeched at it and it screeched at me and ran off!  I DO have to be careful because I've had snakes pop out of the owners' tack room, right where the water faucet stands at the corner of the building.  Fortunately they've all been non-poisonous, although last summer she did find the marks of a sidewinder rattlesnake down by the aviary.  I have also found a snake skin by one of the horse's feeders and I took it home and nailed it on our front gate!  I enjoy my early morning visits to the ranch, but it was hot up there yesterday...about 93 degrees.  We have thunderstorms forecast for Thursday and Friday and I'm hoping to get some pics of the thunderheads which are moving up the valley.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking us to the ranch. What a marvelous place so full of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That ranch sounds like a great place! Nice photos and narrative.
    We're waiting for the same thunderstorms to come in. I also hope to get some nice photos. We're up in our favorite spot above Julian and hope there is some rain BEFORE the lightning. It's pretty darn hot, even up here.

    ReplyDelete