The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Hurkey Creek county park









Our son and girlfriend and their son (our grandson) and my aunt and a couple of our friends all met at Hurkey Creek county park last Sunday.  We ALL wanted to get out of the desert heat.  Today, we'll going back.  It is expected to be 114 degrees here in the desert and we all need another break.  Hurkey Creek apparently DOES have a creek (I'm going to go looking for it today unless I run into mosquitoes!)  The grandson, who is 3, enjoyed the kids' playground and soon went down the big slide all by himself!  He and I took a couple of walks in the park.  We found pine cones and a pretty flower for mama.  I showed him the woodpeckers and TRIED to get some photos of them, but it was difficult juggling him, pinecones, and my camera!  And, today I'm going to take my folding chair with me.  There were lots of robins in the park, too, and we enjoyed watching them.  I'm not sure if it will rain on us this afternoon, but thunderstorms ARE forecast for tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to our return!  All these photos were taken last weekend.  I'm always glad to spend some "outdoor" time with the grandson.  I'm teaching him about nature and how to respect her and understand her.  He's at a good age (he's 3...).  He enjoys going on walks now with Grandma and I'm always pointing out things for him to see.  We have fun together!   :-)

4 comments:

  1. What a great combination of running away from the hot desert into a shady park with family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first introduction to Hurkey Creek was in 1981 when I worked canvassing for Thousand Trails up in Pine Cove.

    Later on when I had an automotive restoration business in Hemet CA and the entire Coachella Valley from Palm Springs to Indio, I went fishing every morning in late spring when they started stocking Strawberry Creek with Trout from the white Water Hatchery. I use to especially fish on Friday morning at around 5:00am and had nothing more than a spool of lightweight fishing line, one small lead weight, triple hook and jar of red Salmon Eggs.

    Hatchery raised Trout aren't that clever and Stream wise yet and they were easy catching. I'd have a bucket of 5 or 6 and I'd take them either up into May Valley above Hurkey Creek or to the Campground itself and turn them loose. Of course in those days the creek ran all year long. One year in 1983 the Idyllwild Towne Crier which gave fishing reports mentioned that several campers at hurkey Creek had been catching several Trout which appeared to be very abundant in the creek flowing through the middle of the campgrounds. They quoted some PHD-ed Biologist expert who suggested the Trout from Lake Hemet were looking to expand their territory and that is the reason they were moving upsteam from Lake Hemet.

    I just smiled as I read.


    -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a nice time. I've been trying to capture the lightening storms here but so far zip! Love the Acorn Woodpecker in the tree:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess heat is a relative thing. 90 seems fairly cool when you're escaping 114!

    ReplyDelete