Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Saturday catch-up







Awwww....Saturday morning...FINALLY!  It was a hectic week last week.  I didn't get to post as much as I hoped mainly because last weekend I took 2 FULL cards of photos!  And, I didn't get all the photos posted which I had planned.  Some weeks just fly by!  It's especially hard now because of the time change, too.  I'm up and working in the dark on my desktop.  Then when I notice it's light, I have to fly to work!  (not literally...I don't have a broomstick!)  I imagine I'll have a lot of photos to go through this weekend, too, so here are some I didn't get to post last week.  All of these are from the horse ranch up in Anza where I board my horses.  I found a really lovely couple who board them and I don't have to worry about them at all!  They feed them, clean their corrals, and even call the vet (if needed) and the shoer.  I TRY to get up there on the weekends, but since I've had this STUPID bronchitis since Labor Day, I've had weekends where I was just to tired to get up off the couch!~This weekend isn't one of them, however, so I'm ready to drive up the mountain.  I noticed smoke coming from near Pinyon Flats yesterday and, sure enough, there was a 7 acre fire up there...10 engines and I don't know how many crew members who quickly put it out.  I have a couple of friends who live there so that's always scary.   It's siesta time at the ranch on these warm days!  That's Quad with his beautiful Peruvian paso neighbor taking a siesta.  Quad, my off-the-track thoroughbred, now LOVES his daily siesta.  Unfortunately, he likes to take it right where he... pees!  I need to give him a bath this weekend!  Can you believe that, as a gg-grandson of BOTH Secretariat AND Affirmed, he didn't make it at the track?  He's too laid back for all those sheninigans!  He's a very gentle soul!  ... except for the time he broke his halter while at the tie rack and RACED all around the ranch!  BAD BOY!  Next two are Scout, my remaining mustang from Wyoming.  She's short and compact, but, boy, can she MOVE!  She would make a great barrel racing horse!  She does tight turns and MOVES!  She's also very headstrong and sometimes (most of the time...) outwits me!  Next 4 photos are "Lucille" (I may change her name...) who belonged to the other boarder at the ranch.  Unfortunately, I only saw her about 4x a year. She had financial problems and couldn't pay her board, so I bought Lucille.  ("Shhhhhh! ~ don't tell hubby!)...BUT, after losing both Beauty and Cali, my two "easiest" horses, I was in a real funk.  I can't ride Sunni...he's too spooky.  Scout is just too much energy for me...Gigondas rears...Quad is uncertain because he also has reared...so I basically had NO riding horse.  Lucille, on the other hand, is a BIG GIRL, and she's half Tennessee Walker (and gaited) and half draft.  She's VERY calm and quiet and is a nice mover.  I just couldn't let her go to an unknown future or even THINK about her ending up on a feedlot somewhere, awaiting slaughter...NOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  So, she has now joined the herd.  She's an older mare (about 14), but she's also rideable and quiet.  I should learn a LOT from her and she trusts me.  Heck, I've been feeding her for over two years now.  She always nickers when she sees my car drive in (UNLIKE my OTHER horses!)...WELL!  I led her down to the arena and she couldn't wait to get out, run, roll, and stretch her legs.  In fact, she liked rolling so much, she did it twice!  She's a very hairy girl, as you can see, but by summer, her dapples will show and she'll be gorgeous!  We need to get the shoer out to redo her front shoes (she has to wear them on her front feet).  Last photo is the ranch last weekend.  Their almond trees are blooming and I took some photos of the blossoms, which I'm going to post on the Today's Flowers meme.

2 comments:

  1. Love the face of the grey! Looks so sweet and innocent. Nice blog! We are in Borrego Springs and are full time motorhomers. Did you order this heat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so darn cute! Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete