Hubby and I are still here, but we are staying at home since we are both over 65. He did run out to WalMart 2 nights ago, at 10 p.m. and only found tortillas and shredded cheese, so we will be having quesadillas for lunch for some time! I was able to take advantage of whole Foods offering the first hour to seniors yesterday, so I SCORED and bought 2 pounds of ground beef, 1 pound of stew meat, BACON, and 1 New York steak, which we split and ate last night. I also bought 8 baking potatoes and I'm making beef stew today (no carrots or celery and I'm NOT going out again today!). My grandparents survived the Great Depression and I figure, hopefully, we will too. My mother was born in 1918, at the time of the Spanish flu, and my aunt in 1924. Granddad did have a large garden. I remember him growing green onions, carrots, radishes, turnips, tomatoes, peas, and rhubarb! Grandma made a rhubarb pie which was out of this world as well as rhubard. I miss eating that! They also had an avocado tree. They walked down to the corner and bought eggs from the rancher there.
I'm going to order some seeds online for a summer garden: green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, and peppers. I'll have to keep an eye on the dog so he doesn't dig up my garden, however!
Our Coopers' hawks seem to have completely disappeared. I haven't seen one for over a week now. PHEW! Now the doves and smaller birds are returning to the yard. Bird seed is hard to find and I'm NOT going to COSTCO, but our daughter found 1 bag at WINCO on Monday and she bought it for me, so I'm trying to stretch it. I love seeing the birds outside my window.
So, we are hunkering down and I work a little bit outside every day. No, I'm NOT cleaning the house, although I should be! Ha, ha!
XOXOXOXO to all.
Cheryl ~~ Photos from my front yard flowers this week
My first California poppy! It is sleeping this morning.




No comments:
Post a Comment