The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Mammoth Lakes~That's My World~062811













We just returned from a 9 day trip to the Sierra. We spent 3 nights near the Mammoth Lakes, at an elevation of over 8,000 feet. What a different world from the one I live in here in the desert. In the desert, I know how to walk softly and listen for snakes in the sand. I know how to smell the sage and listen for the cry of the raven and blue jay. Here in the desert I know how to sit in the shade when I am hot and to carry water with me. But, the mountain world is also one I love. I love to see the footprints in the snow. I love to see the blue jays, with their crest and loud voices. I love to hear the whisper of the wind in the pines. I love to see the first light of alpenglow in the morning against the peaks. It is a completely different world from the one which I know and live in every day, but one which I am learning to explore. We'll be heading back to the Sierra and Mammoth Lakes this week. Both hubby and I decided instead of heading to Arizona, we would return to the Sierra. There is something there which calls us and we must heed that call. That's My World for June 28, 2011. The bottom photo shows how much snow was still at Mammoth Village on June 13th. The road was closed from that point on. There's a photo of one of the campgrounds~ha~ no campers there! That's the little general store by the Twin Lakes. Its entrance was completely covered by snow and ice and the owners were trying to get it open when we were there. By now, it should be open for business. The round looking structure is a yurt. A fellow blogger in New Mexico lives in one and I'm intrigued by them. This one lodged the ski rentals and is now closed for the summer. The top two show the beautiful Twin Lakes. In the second one, you can see the water which spills out of a higher lake, Lake Mamie, which was still completely frozen when we were there. To see other worlds, please visit: http://showyourworld.blogspot.com/ **all photos show in manual mode***(applause, please!)

6 comments:

  1. i miss snow on the mountain. We used to go up the rockies when I lived in california. The world really has so much awesomeness. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mammoth Lakes area is a beautiful place. We spent many a Christmas vacation there and it is so wonderful. One thing I have always liked to see though is the devils post pile. But the road is always closed. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That´s a stunning world so different to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the reflection of the snow covered rocky peaks of the Sierra on twin lakes is very beautiful, I love the Sierra too, it is such a wonderful place, an alpine mountain that sits in the desert valley that is so so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! Well worth "clicking" to enlarge!
    Is that your RV in the photo?

    ReplyDelete