Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Tehachapi Train Loop






On our way to the western side of the Sierras, we drove up through Tehachapi. Another blogger had posted some photos of the Tehachapi train loop and I wanted to stop by and see it. I watched for the sign and we took a very narrow road down to it. I spotted a train slowly chugging up the hill and we arrived at the loop, along with several other cars. I've lived in Southern California my whole life and I'd never seen the loop! So, when the train finally made it up to the loop, hubby and I were ready with our cameras. What an amazing sight! The loop is one of the 7 wonders of the railroad world and since hubby's father and grandfather were both railroad men in Pennsylvania. The trains actually do a loop around a hill and then make their way up the Tehachapi grade. I'm not an engineer, but I think I get the point of it...kind of like the slingshot move that rockets take around the moon, right? Anyway, you can see an entire train, from front engines (3) to middle ones (another 3) and then 3 at the end...that's 9 engines in all! And, this was a LONG train! It was amazing to watch and if you ever go through Tehachapi, stop at the train loop. Just watch for the sign along the road.

2 comments:

  1. Great post...love the photos and the explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting sighting. That's quite a climb up to Tehachapi.

    ReplyDelete