Yes, we have a new puppy. i'll get to him in a minute...
First, I had booked a 4 night stay at a NON pet friendly cabin up in the June Lake loop. This was about June 9th. Hubby booked a 1 night stay in Bishop first, so that we could make it to Bishop (a 5-6 hour drive) and then drive up Bishop Canyon, which we did. There was still quite a bit of snow on the Sierra Nevada.
We also stopped at one of the shelters along the way, this one in Big Pine. Talk about serendipity! We walked in and it was very tearful for me. SO MANY beautiful dogs! Hubby stopped at one cage and I looked in. There was a 6 month old lab mix, almost the same coloration as... RIPLEY. I couldn't look. I kept on going, but he remained there. He wanted that dog. And, he wasn't leaving without him. Turns out, he was picked up the previous day next to his dead brother along one of the roads. Ugh. Poor little guy. He was covered with ticks, but otherwise looked healthy. We adopted him that afternoon. He had to be neutered, so the shelter arranged for him to go out Monday morning (we were there Friday) for neutering, his rabies shot, and... A BATH! We named him Bodie. We actually returned the net day to take another look at him and to arrange his pickup time on our way back home, which would have been Wednesday. And, then we continued to our pet-free cabin in the June Lake loop. I could hardly contain myself. It was a bittersweet decision. He seems to be a lab/boxer mix (he has REALLY long legs), and he is SUPER friendly and loves people! So, we spent our 4 restless nights at the cabin (and really didn't enjoy our time there...) and then on the way home, we stopped and picked up Bodie, who spent the ENTIRE JOURNEY home on Dad's lap!
I only stopped once, in Adelanto, for a potty break and otherwise I drove straight home. It was 113 degrees in the desert and we are keeping him inside. He entered the house and RAN and jumped up on our bed and that's where he has been ever since we brought him home! He is just the happiest little guy!
He is settled in and I'm starting to train him on basic commands. Today we worked on "SIT" and he got it after 9 tries. I'll work with him again tomorrow. He points at birds in the yard and still doesn't lift his leg! He LOVES to chase the birds (and the feral cats)...and is a complete GOOFBALL! He is so happy and go lucky! He follows me from room to room and right now he is taking his morning nap at my feet in my office. He is VERY PATIENT with the grand kids and he is now allowed to come over to their house! GOOD BOY!
Here are some photos of Bodie:
This is him at the shelter.
This is him with the 2 grandkids here in the desert.
Bodie and Brady are both "babies"...they are about the same age mentally.



Congrats on your new fur baby.
ReplyDelete