Ripley is dying. Ripley is our nearly 11 year old black lab mix. I think she had a stroke last week and today a vet is coming to our house to put her to sleep. She isn't eating, she's sleeping 23 hours a day, and the light in her eyes has gone out. She went and said goodbye to my husband last night. Me? I can't bear to part with her, but I also know she shouldn't be suffering like this. She is miserable and it isn't fair to her to keep her alive.
So I will hold her, talk to her, and comfort her.
I've always had a dog. One of my earliest memories is me sitting on the floor with my parents' cocker spaniel and sharing dog biscuits! I've had a lot of mutts and 4 purebred German Shepherds. Frankly, Ripley was the smartest dog I've ever had. And, she had a great nose, which is why she would get into our trash if we mere humans forgot to take it outside when we left the house!
She loved to follow me outside every morning to feed the birds. She would just and grin. I haven't seen that lately.
It is time to let her go.
Ripley 2007 - May 5, 2018. RIP my sweet one.
Here she is last month, out in the flowers. She loved it out there. I miss you, "Baby Doll".
May 6, 2018...It is difficult to even go out in the back yard this morning. So many memories. So many cat food cans scattered all over the yard to pick up. She LOVED to get them and lick them clean! So many toys...

I'm so sorry and know how hard this is. Remember the good times. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteA difficult and sad time for you,indeed. So sorry for your lose of Ripley.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to see this. It's hard when our furry companions fail. My condolences.
ReplyDeleteA difficult and sad time for you,indeed. So sorry for your lose of Ripley.
ReplyDeleteSo very sorry. My deepest love to you and your family.
ReplyDeleteOh no, I am so sorry for you both and for Ripley! It is so hard to make that decision...even if Ripley let you know. Big hugs to you both!!!
ReplyDeleteThe loss of one's best friend is always so difficult. I have never experienced a human death that has emotionally touched me more than the death of my best furry Pals over the years. I well know how you feel at losing Ripley and the only thing that will eventually lessen the heartbreak is the passage of time.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. Losing our Dear Little Ones is so very hard for all of us we have all been there and share your pain with you. So very very sorry!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear this Cheryl. Our pets give us so much love, support and affection during their lives. We give it right back to them. When they pass, we pay a large and painful toll for all that love. I know some of the most painful periods of my life took place after losing a long time pet. Take solace in the fact that you did what was best for sweet Ripley. Take care...
ReplyDelete