So, Miss Ellie's kindergarten class went to Oak Glen yesterday. It was her class and another one. Her mommie took the day off from teaching and went with her on the bus. Nana drove her own car and met them up there. There was NO WAY I was going on a school bus! I knew I wouldn't last until lunch time, so that's another reason I drove separately, and I was right. I was DONE by 11:00.
So, I got to go with them on the behind-the-scenes tour of the apple packing plant, which I had never done. Our 3rd graders NEVER went up to this ranch. I do believe that the kindergarten classes did go to another ranch, but I don't know if they still do that field trip.
We saw where the apples are washed, dried, culled, sorted, and then boxed. It was interesting to see the process. Then "Johnny Appleseed" came out to one of the orchards and talked about the kinds of apples and when they bloom and when they are picked. The kiddos were fairly attentive. Off in the distance, however, I and another parent heard gunshots...maybe something bothering the apple orchards?
Then they went and sat down and each kid picked 2 apples to put into the apple cider press. By then I was lightheaded from lack of water, the heat, and low blood sugar. I left. Fortunately I had a bean & cheese burrito in my car from my early morning stop at Bakers, so I ate that and drank a whole liter of water on my way down the mountain. It was a warm day up there...86 degrees when I left. And, the humidity was building up. There were thunderheads building up around the mountains, but I was in too much of a hurry to GET HOME to stop and take photos. Grandpa and I will return in early October since Miss Ellie has a day off school for staff development and I won't have to drive her to school that day.
Here are a few photos from yesterday... MORE tomorrow!
Apples in boxes
I liked this roof...
Apples going up the conveyor belt to be washed
LOVED this door!
Apples in tree...
Ladder
Nice clouds!
More pics tomorrow...
I've heard of Oak Glen, but never been there. Looks like a fun place to take my granddaughter... perhaps a nice stop on our drive out to the Joshua Tree area!
ReplyDeleteJust don't go on a weekend! It is too crowded. If you can go mid-week or on a school holiday, that's the time to go! We are going back (hubby and I) early October when Miss Ellie has a teacher-only day! This was at the Los Rios apple ranch, but there is a Riley's Farm further down the road where they dress up like early Americana and they have a petting zoo.
ReplyDelete