So, our daughter made a reservation (Sandy...) in Idyllwild for the Labor Day weekend, which was unusual because we thought everything was reserved. Well, one of the cabin houses wasn't, so off we went, with the dog, and our daughter, son-in-law, and their 2 kiddos.
Papa and I and Bodie (our dog) got up to the cabin about 3:30 p.m. Friday, since we won't work. I DO, however, have to drive Miss Ellie to kindergarten every morning now because her school starts...get this...90 MINUTES after her mother's school! Yikes! And, it looks like I'll have a job for the next 6 years because when Brady (the 2 year old) starts school, it will be the same MESS. However, the governor has a bill on his desk to have ALL California schools start about the same time, so we will see!
ANYWAY...
We passed through the fire burn area on our way up and from Idyllwild. The Cranston fire actually burned down RIGHT TO the Hurkey Creek campground, across from Lake Hemet. And, I mean right to the kids' play area with their swings and climbers! SCARY! Then, up to the top of the summit, up and over, and to the very EDGE of the town of Idyllwild. Some of my favorite turnouts, where one can look down to Hemet, are now burned. Kids at the summer camps in Idyllwild were ALL evacuated and now I see why. Dark, burned, lifeless...sigh...
It was good, however, to spend a weekend in Idyllwild. Our daughter and I headed out Saturday morning to look at some of the yard sales. I bought a bag FULL of lace, 5 books at the library for my journals, and a library bag. She found a bunch of stuff...a beautiful glass pitcher, some items for the kids. We had a BLAST while the boys got to babysit the 5 year old and the 2 year old. Our puppy, Bodie, who is now 9 months, is EXCELLENT with the kids and they all play together!
We cooked up a batch of loaded potato soup for dinner Friday night and had leftovers Saturday for lunch, along with sandwiches. It wasn't too hot in Idyllwild...mid 80's and nights were in the 60's. We DID, however, get a surprise visitor Saturday night: a BAT! I awoke to hubby swinging a broom around (I thought he was coming after me!), but then I saw the bat. He never got it, but the son-in-law managed to swipe it into MY OVERNIGHT BAG and take it outside, where it flew away! SUCH EXCITEMENT! Apparently they are very common up there.
Sunday we just stayed in and let the kids (and Bodie...on a 15' horse lead rope) play in the front yard. There were blue jays, squirrels, even a huge cottontail rabbit. Bodie took off after one of the squirrels and was stunned when he came to the end of the lead rope, which is WHY I BROUGHT IT. There isn't a gate at the end of the driveway and he is new enough, I didn't want him running after some critter and not coming back! He did manage to get OUT of the cabin once, but he just came around to the front door! GOOD BOY!
We left around noon Monday, back to 109 degrees. It was actually 115 here yesterday and today it will be about 112, but then temps go back to around 107, 106 and even lower...still triple digits, however. BUT, the nights are in the mid 70's, so we open all the windows and allow the cool air inside and give the air conditioner a rest.
Here are some photos from Idyllwild:
Bodie on his 15' horse lead rope so he wouldn't run down the street!!!
Brady and Bodie. Both are about the same age mentally.
Brady looking for goodies in one of the food boxes!
Brady and his ball and rake. He is a TERRIBLE TWO!
Brady, Jennifer, Ellie, and Bodie....all getting along
Fire...ugh. This is RIGHT as you make the final turn before hitting town.
Looking down toward Hemet. The Hemet side of Highway 74 was severely damaged.







No comments:
Post a Comment