Summer is quickly fading and not soon enough!
This was a rough summer. First, our July temps were the... HIGHEST ON RECORD...EVER. There were more days of temps over 100 degrees EVER! I remember a couple of summers when we didn't have to even turn on the air conditioner until AFTER July 4th. Not this summer or the previous one! Our air conditioner ran from May through...even today. We have, however, been able to turn it off at night and open up the windows to let some fresh air inside and some days we've been able to leave the house open until about noon. NOT TODAY. The temps are up and so is the humidity.
But, I digress...
Summer is quickly fading...How do I know? The sun is setting more to the south. I notice it on the ridge line of the San Jacinto mountains and it is WAY south than June! I don't notice it from our own house, but when I'm out on Interstate 10, I see where it is setting. It would be interesting to track it with sticks and put the dates on each stick...say, once a month. Maybe I'll do that sometime...
Also, our nights are getting cooler. Right now they are in the mid to high 70's, but this week we will get down into the 60's. YAY! And, I've noticed the maintenance workers already scalping some of the golf courses (to everyone's ANNOYANCE!) Additionally, I've seen birds start to return to the desert, including a black phoebe and 2 ducks that I saw flying one morning while driving the 5 year old to kindergarten. And, that lovely soft, golden late afternoon light is back...that gorgeous autumn glow...ahhhhh......
So, summer... PLEASE fade away some more! I'm anxious to plant my hollyhocks!
Enjoy your day.
Cheryl Ann
No comments:
Post a Comment