Last night I "got" to babysit the 2 grandkids of our daughter. The girl is 6 and her BROBBER (as she calls him) is 3. The six year old (first grader) was a delight. Her brother...NOT SO MUCH.
He got out a puzzle and emptied it all over their floor. When I asked him to pick up the pieces, he turned to me and said, "YOU DO IT!" Excuse me? I put him in the TIME OUT CHAIR. He got up. I added another 3 minutes. He got up AGAIN. Ellie, the 6 year old, rolled her eyes and said, "He does that to daddy ALL THE TIME." So, I set the Alexa timer for ANOTHER 3 minutes (twice) and finally yelled at him, "IF you get up again, I'm going to spank you!" (I was that close to spanking him, yes, I was!) (I didn't...I don't spank either one of them). Defiance at age 3! CAN you BELIEVE IT? Then he turned to me and said, "When are YOU going to go home?" (He is already QUITE the little thinker!!!!! AND STINKER!)
I had to go sit down at the table. Now, mind you, these are my 2 closest grandkids. They live 11 miles away. I pick each one of them up after school or day care 1 day a week (each). They constantly see me. I take them for treats. I take them to the library. I take them to the nursery to see the plants.
It was a difficult evening.
I fed them dinner and he was much better after that. The six year old went in her room and we all gathered on her bed and watched 3 of the Elf movies (Elf on the Shelf or whatever...). He calmed down and curled up on the bed and was the delightful little critter that I knew he COULD be....FINALLY! However, it WAS a long evening. Thank goodness hubby had dinner waiting and a bottle of wine! The little stinker did hug me when I left, apparently over his temporary hatred of Nana.
On a positive note, my sweet peas and sugar snap peas have sprouted! YAY! I'm doing the happy dance! And, I have California poppies coming up out front! And sunflowers and hollyhocks in the front and back yard!
No comments:
Post a Comment