Now that hubby and I are both retired, we are finding that we are going back to our roots for many things.
First, life is much slower now. Whatever doesn't get done today can usually wait until tomorrow.
Second, we aren't using as many modern appliances. My garbage disposal quit and died and frankly, I'm not interested in replacing it. I put strainers in the sink and that is working out just fine.
My dishwasher is on its last legs and I bought a dish pan for $1.00 at the dollar store and I actually enjoy washing our dishes by hand. Of course, it is only the two of us, so we don't have that many dishes, but I find hand washing them quite soothing. I DO splurge for nice dish soap, however. I like the Meyers line and I'm currently using their cranberry one. Why not? I also use a LOT of the Dr. Bronner's soaps, even in the laundry. I pulled out a hand woven blanket this morning to use when I sit on the couch and I washed it in Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap. It's actually cheaper than laundry soap and doesn't have all the chemicals.
I also have my grandmother's gray hairs in exactly the same spot that she had hers. I'm actually quite proud of them! I waited for YEARS to get them! I only hope that her wisdom goes with them.
Yes, life is slower now. I just enjoy sitting at my window and looking out front at the birds and the hummingbirds which come to the feeders. My cat often curls up in my lap while I'm doing this and our black lab, Ripley, is frequently asleep on the floor by my feet.
I think this is a good thing. I worked for 37 years. Hubby worked for 50. It's time to enjoy life and to slow down. I appreciate a beautiful sunrise. I love to listen to the birds. I planted my wildflower seeds and I'll be happy when they sprout. My sweet peas are in. I actually decorated the front porch with Christmas decorations this year, the first time in probably 20 years!
I hope you are enjoying life, too. Hubby is doing well with his medications.
Take care.
~Cheryl Ann~
Me and my maternal Grandfather. He taught me everything I know about gardening and he grew the most beautiful sweet peas! He put horse manure on them!
Ellie and her two grandmas. Life is simpler now.


Sounds like a nice, smooth, and slow routine. Who needs all the modern kitchenry. Glad to hear you are both well and getting ready for the holidays.
ReplyDelete