I've been home making a family memory journal. This is the first one of its kind that I've done and it was QUITE an emotional ride! It took me a week to make it and I already had 2 boxes of my dad's photos and family papers. I just didn't want to rush it. I wanted to take my time.
You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSxUmMFvM5Uhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSxUmMFvM5U
I had a really hard time ending this one. I still keep it on my desk and pull it out and look at it and frankly, it has been HARD to even start another journal, but I started one last night and I'm pluggin' away at it. I NEED to move on.
I never knew my dad's family. They all lived back in Connecticut and he moved out here to California before WWII. He did take us back to Connecticut when I was about 4 years old (I do remember the train ride...), and his parents did come to California before I was born. I wish I had known his parents. It is a shame I really didn't...and I regret that. They WERE my grandparents and, as a grandparent myself now, I don't think I could live without knowing our precious little bundles of joy (all 5 of them!) But, I guess things were different then...My mom didn't like her mother-in-law (I don't know WHY...), so she "discouraged" any more trips back to Connecticut. My grandmother died when I was about 12, so I could have visited her and I WOULD have remembered her. I kind of resent my mother for that.
I did, however, grow up with her parents, whom I dearly LOVED. And, my next family album (journal) will be about that side of my family. I have many, many, many fond memories of that set of grandparents, but, you know, why couldn't I have similar memories of my dad's parents? It doesn't seem fair...sigh...but that's life...
Anyway, have a great day tomorrow.
~Cheryl Ann~
Wow! What an undertaking that must be. Emotional also. I'd like to do something like that, but unfortunately my mother destroyed every shredded every family record, paper, and photo just before she died. I guess a brain tumor can do that to you.
ReplyDeleteI just watched you videos. I totally appreciate the amount of patience, creativity, and work it took to makes them. I'm WAY TOO ADD to every even try.
Great job Cheryl Ann!
Thank you, Pat. It really was an emotional one. Now I need to do one for my mom's side. I'm fortunate that both my mom and dad were the eldest of their siblings and they inherited a LOT of family information and photos and documents!
ReplyDelete