Well, hubby seems to be settling into his NEW lifestyle. We both went to our doctor yesterday. I went because I had SEVERE dizziness on Tuesday. I mean, I couldn't walk in a straight line and I was veering off to the left! Hubby had to go in for his post-hospital stay checkup.
She seems to think, since all of the tests the hospital ran on him were negative, that it was a combo of his drug AND his eating habits. He had ONLY had a Jamba Juice smoothie that day. He frequently skips breakfast and lunch, thus only eating once a day. Believe me, I've TRIED for years to get him to eat breakfast. Now he is eating small meals throughout the day. That seems to be good for his heart rate, too, instead of eating one ginormous meal at dinner. He's never been a breakfast eater, but that is changing. I bought him fresh fruit and yogurt. He is holding his nose and eating the fruit (not the yogurt!), but at least he is trying. He seems to be settling in with his new medications and new life style. The insurance company called yesterday to make sure he DID visit his own doctor. I'm glad they did. That was a reminder for him to GET SERIOUS about his health! One can ignore things only for so long!
That was a real wake-up call. I know several of you have gone through this, too, from your comments. Yes, it was a life-changer! We actually went to our local certified organic farmer's market yesterday and bought some salad mix, peppers, and onions. Oh, and a pound of coffee from the Yucca Valley Coffee Brewing Company. I'm drinking it this morning and it is good! Hubby says they used to buy and pour it over at the Marriott. AND...we walked around the park yesterday afternoon. Of course, I had to DRAG him there! He wanted to go home and take a nap and I said, "NO!"
Changes take time (and effort). He's only 66 and his dad lived into his 90's. So, we had salmon and a salad for dinner last night and we are having lean chicken and vegetables tonight.
How are you doing? What changes have you made in your lifestyle? Oh, and the doctor told him to lose 50 pounds NOW or ELSE! Frankly, it wouldn't hurt me to lose weight, either, so his diet will help both of us!
I'm heading up to Oak Glen tomorrow morning with 2 of my retired teacher friends. We promised we would all go somewhere once a week. One gal has never been to Oak Glen! I have all sorts of little trips planned for us, so that will give me a chance to get out and do some walking, too. :-)
Please DO take care of yourself and tell your loved one(s) every day that you love them.
These were the beautiful clouds I saw near Aguanga and Temecula when I drove in on Monday morning. They were off Highway 79.
My husband had an emergency stent in May. He has always been the picture of health. Ran 17 marathons. Never over weight, low cholesterol and he had chest pains. So for me I had to lose weight. I have had success with Isagenex. It's a plant based health improvement program. I'm not trying to sell this at all, just telling you what has worked for me. 45 lbs.gone so far since May. All my numbers were good at last doc appt so we are all happy. Husband is doing well too. Wake up call for sure.
ReplyDeleteWow! That's weird...We are both changing our diets to low carb...lots of fresh fruit & veggies. He will lose weight. HA! I won't... we'll see.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great update! Oh man, making changes like that after so many years is so hard....but SOOOO worth it! I too need to lose 30 to 40 lbs minimum and hubby needs to lose a lot more than that. Low carb works for him...just trying to get back on the band wagon. It is all about mind set and changing habits. Thank you for sharing your story because it is a very good reminder to take care of ourselves. It doesn't mean no ice cream....it just means no ice cream the whole day finishing the container. Keep up the good work you two!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update! I've had to make a few changes. Staying out of the sun is a major one. Of course you know that is hard for a person who is always out somewhere. I still go out, but dress like a Bedouin. I also had get "un-addicted" to carbs.
ReplyDelete