COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Monday, July 6, 2015

Mennonites

Al, over at Travel with the Bayfield Bunch,

http://thebayfieldbunch.com/2015/07/sunday-morning-drive-through-mennonite.html 

frequently writes about driving through Mennonite country.  Did you know that one of my maternal grandfather's ancestors was a Mennonite bishop?  Yup.  Here he is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_Funck

He was the FIRST Mennonite bishop in America.  One of his sons, I discovered, was in the Revolutionary War.  My grandmother never researched my grandfather's side because the Parks family moved around the United States so much and they constantly named sons and grandsons the same name!  I've pulled out my hair many times TRYING to figure out his direct line and honestly, I've given up!  All I know is that grandpa had the clearest sky blue eyes!  And, he was TALL and HANDSOME as a young man, as were all his brothers!  He lived to be 97 years old, too!  But I was able to research the Funk line and I came across that information.  And, yes, it is my grandfather's line.

But, I digress...

So, I am always fascinated to read about Al's drives through Mennonite country.    


No comments:

Post a Comment