COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Kids will be outside until it is 130 degrees? This is INSANITY!

So, one of our local school district, Palm Springs Unified, has decided that when it gets to be 130 degrees, kids won't be allowed outside.

130 degrees?  Really?  You've GOT to be kidding!

Look, I've lived here 40 years now and it has NEVER been 130 degrees.  One July, about 17 years ago, it was 128 here in Palm Desert (and that is in the SHADE.  Temps are always taken in the SHADE).  I remember because our air conditioner compressor died that day and it took the crew 3 days to install our newer, better system, which is still running.  I basically sat in front of a fan with a bucket of ice water while the guys did the installation.  And, I was 17 years younger than I am now.  Actually, the last two days here this week, the switch on our air conditioner breaker has flipped and it goes off in the afternoons.  So, we walk out and reset the switch and we are back in business.  We'll have to replace the units again, inside and out, before we retire, so that will probably be this fall.

But 130 degrees?  Kids outside until it is 130 degrees?  Oh, and it's for "test scores".  REALLY?

Here's the article:

http://www.kesq.com/news/heat-precautions-taken-for-kids-going-back-to-school/34730726

Here's the gist of it:

     PSUSD is in the process of adopting a heat policy. 

They have a ranking system for different temperature ranges with specific instructions per range.

Friday would be classified as intense heat. That's when temperatures are between 105 and 129 degrees.
At that point vigorous activity is cut down and kids are allowed outdoors for recess in the morning.
There is one step above intense heat and that's when temperatures are 130 degrees and above. At that point all outdoor activity is cut off. 
Other school districts have similar protocol. 
Desert Sands Unified School District said it's up to the principal to make a decision each day on the extent of outdoor activity. 
Coachella Valley Unified School District has a similar ranking system to PSUSD. 

I hope the parents rise up and complain LOUDLY.  This is endangering the lives of their kids.  PERIOD.

My school doesn't allow the students to even drink water on hot days before coming back to class after lunch!  I complained to the principal and asked him to "revisit" this decision.  Otherwise, I lose 30 minutes of class while each kid gets 1 minute at the inside water fountain.  I can't teach and THEY can't learn when they are hot.

Why is everyone being SO STUPID?  It must be the heat.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I think you are going to hear from some very irate parents! I can't imagine kids playing outside in 125-degree weather. Even worse is not being able to drink water after lunch. Flies in the face of medical common sense of the importance of staying hydrated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I hope you can prod the admin to reconsider. I agree. It would be insane to expect kids to play outside in that sun and in those temps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is child abuse - I'm shocked and if i was a mom of young kids going to school i would be there so quick either my head or their head would spin. This just pisses me off.

    ReplyDelete