However, I was jolted out of bed last night about 1:04 a.m. by a mere 5.2 earthquake. But, it was shallow and about 27 miles away. I actually SCREAMED! Hubby was already up watching TV. We've both been waking up around 2:30 a.m. every morning now for a week. The dog slept through the whole thing and never warned us. Anyway, we switched on our cell phones and then the TV and followed the news coverage. So far, there have been about 12 after shocks.
It was centered down in Anza/Borrego, so those of you who go there will know its origin. It was only .6 miles deep, so that was shallow, although the after shocks have been much deeper. Also, it was on the San Jacinto fault, which apparently is much more active than the San Andreas. Think: Mt. San Jacinto (10,000 feet high)...
I've been through many, many stronger earthquakes here in California, but this one was a real warning, so hubby and I went out today and bought 4 cases of liter water bottles from Trader Joe's. One case costs about $5.00, so that was $20 worth of sanity. I already have our earthquake bag packed and filled with food (even dog food) and it is right under the kitchen table. I figure the table should break anything that falls on it! I do need to remember, however, to put a flashlight in it.
I'm not driving up Highway 74 to see the horses today because there was a large rock slide and the road was closed for a while. With our temps coming down to double digits today, and through the weekend, I'll have another chance to get up to the horses.
That's all for now!
~Cheryl Ann~
This is what I found on the local news sites: The first 3 are from the Los Angeles Times:
A telltale sign that a quake is going to be large is how long it lasts, she said.
And, this:
The California Highway Patrol reported that boulders had fallen onto Highway 74 between Palm Desert and Pinyon, KESQ reported.
Finally,
The San Jacinto fault stretches for 130 miles, from the Cajon Pass in San Bernardino County southeast toward the Mexican border. The 1987 Superstition Hills earthquakes, which hit about 90 miles east of San Diego, topped out at magnitudes 6.5 and 6.7, and caused $3 million in damage in Imperial County.

No comments:
Post a Comment