Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

"Summer" ~ Sunday Stills Challenge 071810~Thunderheads over the horse ranch










Summer near Deep Canyon means thunderheads and monsoonal moisture. In the desert, it is too hot now to even venture outside, so most days, I go out very early in the morning and get my chores and errands done before 9:00 a.m.!!! By mid-afternoon yesterday, it was 116 degrees on my shaded front porch. Our dogs don't even want to go outside and the birds all disappear. But, summer also brings gorgeous, big, fluffy thunderheads, like these that I took photos of this past week in the sky above the horse ranch where I board my horses in our local mountains. By late afternoon, they had grown and spread all over our skies. I konked out and fell asleep after working with the mustangs that morning and apparently a huge windstorm came through the desert and when I awoke, the entire sky was dark. It was raining, but the rain was evaporating before it even hit the ground in the desert. Up in our local mountains, however, it was pouring! The ranch owner emailed me to state that the skies opened up just as she was out feeding the horses! Ah....summer in the desert southwest! Sunday Stills Challenge for July 18, 2010. Enjoy your day! For other summer challenges, please visit Sunday Stills at: http://sundaystills.wordpress.com/

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love clouds/thunderheads...anything the sky has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clouds look beautiful and soft. It's hard to believe that they can change so quickly. We had a 98 degree day this past week and I thought that was bad!

    ReplyDelete