Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Kestrel~World BIrd Wednesday~071812


I took my friend Sue out to Fobes Ranch Road on Saturday.  She had never been there before.  I was hoping we'd see a red tailed hawk soaring out over the meadow.  Instead, we came upon this little guy.  When we first drove out to the meadow, he took off, but on our way back, I spotted him up on the same fence post and I drove VERY SLOWLY toward him.  I actually took these photos from my driver's seat position.  The passenger side window was open and I zoomed in on him!  :-)  Isn't he adorable?  We also have Kestrels down here in the desert.  We additionally have a Cooper's hawk who terrorizes the neighborhood and all the mourning doves were huddled up on the telephone wires this morning (and not eating), so I went out to investigate and I heard and saw the Cooper's hawk.  World Bird Wednesday for July 18, 2012.  *** Apparently World Bird Wednesday is no more.  It is now Wild Bird Wednesday and here's the link:   http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you saw the kestrel. I have only seen a couple since moving to the east coast. Hopefully I will see many more once I move back to Tucson.

    Thanks for your visist to my blog and your kind and welcoming comment. also, I did not know that World Bird Wednesday ended! Thanks for the head's up. I will go and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful bird, wonderful captures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shots. A lovely bird to see at any time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little boy is actually a little girl Kestral. They are one of the few raptors you can differentiate by color. The male is more rufus and has steely blue gray wings. She is adorable though ... I love the Kestrals, they are fiesty little Falcons. Thank you for the pictures, I enjoyed them.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great captures! I've only seen a kestrel out in the wild once and it flew off before my camera could focus. Visiting from WBW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool sighting and photos of the Kestrel. They are beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea, thanks for the info! Well, then, SHE is adorable! I love kestrels and hope to see her again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a much better job at taking captures of a Kestrel, from a car window, than I have ever been able to get~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful bird! Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete