COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Sunday, June 7, 2015

And the winner is...

American Pharoah!

So, yesterday hubby and I stayed home and watched the Belmont Stakes.  I had been 37 years since the last Triple Crown champion, and we were anxious to watch AP do his race.  And, win he did!  He is now the 12th Triple Crown champion, after Affirmed.  By the way, my off-the-track thoroughbred, Quad, is a great-grandson of BOTH Affirmed, Secretariat, and a descendant of the great Man O'War, but, in 7 starts, he NEVER won a race.  Thank GOD he went to a horse rescue, instead of going straight to slaughter.  He only won $6,200.  So, it isn't JUST about the breeding.  It takes a great trainer, good connections, and "las ganas"..."the desire" to win.  Quad doesn't have that.  He's too laid back.

I was screaming and crying and yelling when American Pharoah turned the last corner at Belmont.  I knew he had the race in hand.  And, from the looks of him, he could have kept going!  What a great horse.

It CAN be done.  I was quiet shocked last year when California Chrome's owner said that it was cheating to bring in fresh horses to the Belmont.  SAY WHAT?  Hey, if your horse isn't up to it, the public will find out.  If you horse IS, he will win the Triple Crown.  PERIOD.

Here are a few pics I took directly from the TV and a couple of links, if you wish to watch the race.

 American Pharoah on his way to winning the Belmont Stakes and the Triple Crown!!!!!
 His sign, next to that of Affirmed.  It was 37 years until his Triple Crown victory.
 The winner's circle celebration.
American Pharoah being led back to his stall after the race.

Here's a complete video of his race:

https://www.facebook.com/HRTVnetwork/videos/10153302340880170/?pnref=story

Here's a link to the previous Triple Crown winners, from CBS news:  http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/horse-racings-triple-crown-winners/

I did NOT see Affirmed's win, nor that of Seattle Slew.  I was too busy with my job and getting pregnant!  :-)  I did, however, see Secretariat's 1973 Triple Crown races and I will always remember his Belmont Stakes.  And, somewhere within Quad, there IS Affirmed, Secretariat, and Man O'War.  Frankly, I think he's laid back from his dam, At the Altar.  She is the one from whom he inherited his gray color, too.  Here's a link to Quad's pedigree:  You'll notice he has Northern Dancer, Secretariat, Affirmed, Nasrullah, Bold Ruler, and even Man O'War.  Breeding, however, isn't everything.
http://www.pedigreequery.com/cero+quatro

 "Quad"...or "Goofy"
Quad with me, 2014.  Yes, I still have him.  He is SUCH a goofball!

No comments:

Post a Comment