Quad is my off-the-track thoroughbred. Let's be honest...he was a FAILURE at the track. Out of 7 races, he never won once. For a thoroughbred, that's a sure sign of heading to slaughter. FORTUNATELY, he and 2 other geldings ended up at a horse rescue, where I saw him about...2008. Hubby and I were visiting the rescue and the owner brought him over to me and said Quad and I would be a good match. He's VERY laid back...not competitive enough to be a racing thoroughbred. I already had 5 horses at that time and I couldn't take on another, so I declined. He went off to foster care and I guess that didn't work out because 9 months later, Joe went and collected him and brought him back to the rescue...hmmm...not sure what happened there.
After one of my horses died in a freak corral accident, however, I was down to 4 horses. Another blogger who I've known for several years knew Quad needed a home and I was down a horse, so she arranged for Quad to be sent down to me. I remember the night the huge trailer arrived at the horse ranch and he stepped out of it. That was 2009 and I've had him ever since.
Quad is a real goofball. He is gentle and loving and will make the perfect horse for the grandson to ride. He doesn't like adults on him anymore and I suspect he has a back problem, but a 6 year old would be fine. He is a great-grandson of both the great Secretariat AND Affirmed and he also has Man O'War in his blood. I traced his gray lines waaaaaayyyyy back on his pedigree and he is actually a descendant of the three original Arabian stallions who make up throughbreds today. Most thoroughbreds have one of them in their lineage. Quad has all 3. He just didn't like racing. He is more of a pocket pony! :-)
Now that I'm down to 4 horses, I won't be getting any more. I'm going to retire in a couple of years and I will have to maintain these 4. That will take some time and $$$.
Here is Quad rolling:
And, here he is running off after his nice roll in the dirt:
Loved reading about his lineage and what a cute guy he is!!
ReplyDelete