So, y'all saw my photos on canvas. Well, I got BORED with that and nobody has bought any of my photos, so now I'm onto a new project...
WORKING WITH WOOD!
I LOVE IT!
I went to Home Depot to buy wood on Tuesday or Wednesday (I forget...) Anyway, I picked out some nice birch and maple and was waiting for the guy to make 24" cuts. He advised me that they were $5.00 A FOOT! ACK! I can't afford that, so he walked me back to the lumber aisle and showed me how to find a straight piece of cheap pine. $5.60 for the entire 6' length, too! He cut my boards and I went home happily...
I returned yesterday to buy 3 fence boards on sale for... SIT DOWN! $2.09 EACH! 3 cuts later, and I walked out with $8.00 worth of wood (approximately)...
I have now made 2 signs. The garden one was my first. I made one for our son and his family and it is drying.
I used stencils for the flowers, since I CANNOT draw. I did the lettering by hand, since I can't figure out how to use tracing paper and reverse the image. I'll figure it out eventually. Oh, and our printer doesn't work with the network, so that's OUT.
I have one I want to finish this morning, so I'll take a photo when I'm done. I put a nice walnut stain on the wood, too, before I started. And, I sanded it BY HAND! I wish I could afford a cheap sander. That sure would help!
Any ideas/suggestions/comments? I'm new to all of this. I've NEVER had the time to do anything like this when I was working.
~Cheers!
~Cheryl Ann~

Don't loose hope on your photos. Yet I really like that you're tackling something new. Maybe a sander at a thrift store.
ReplyDeleteVery nice!! I just finished up a sign about a week ago. I have a little desert cabin that I rent out on Airbnb and I needed a sign so people can find it more easily. Anyway, I used cedar fencing wood (a nice soft wood) and a router, and carved out the letters using the router. It came out great! I'll have to take some photos and post them in the future.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the fencing wood! I got my 3 pieces of it for a little over $8.00 TOTAL! And, they cut it free at Home Depot. My 2nd sign is going into the trash, however. It looks... HORRIBLE! Hubby suggested red letters and the stain made them look ... pink! I need to figure out whether or not to paint the wood or stain it.
ReplyDelete