The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Lady and Loki


Lady is the German Shepherd I rehomed two months ago.  A co-worker announced she was looking for a home for her because (1) she'd never had a shepherd before and (2) she didn't like having a big dog...sigh...what can I say?  I immediately said I'd take her.  We've had three other shepherds (all males), so Lady is our first female.  She's at least 6 years old (I think she is older than that), but she lived with her breeder for 6 years until that lady had to move out of her house and into a condo where she couldn't keep her.  So, my co-worker, who lives alone, rehomed her and all her dishes and toys!  Unfortunately, she wasn't used to having a big dog and she left her alone at home for 12 hours a day!  So, Lady came to us.  She is beautifully trained and has wonderful manners.  We took her with us up to the Idyllwild cabin and she behaved perfectly.  She whined when she had to go outside to do her business.  Then, there's Loki.  I adopted him at PETCO during one of their adoptions back in 1996.  I remember the year because we got our 2nd shepherd, Maverick, in 1995.  Loki was already a year old then, so he must be 17 years old now.  He's outlived two of our shepherds and he's still going...although yesterday morning, he got up on our porch roof and was chasing one of our other cats up and down it and they sounded like a herd of elephants!  Then, he couldn't remember how to get down, so I had to take the ladder and grab him by the scruff of the neck and haul his sorry BUTT down off the porch!  I only got one small scratch, so I'm thankful for that. It could have been a LOT worse!!! He really is a nice cat...he can be mean to the dogs, however.  Lady steers away from him, although sometimes I catch them taking a sun nap together out in the front yard, cuddled together!  I'll have to have the camera ready for that!

2 comments:

  1. While Loki sounds like my Vern at 17, the Shepherd reminds me of my daughters, Natasha who I babysat for when I had my GSP. Love Shepherd's!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so pleased Lady is working out for you. Bigger and older dogs are so hard to rehome and kudos to you for taking her on.

    ReplyDelete