Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Oak forest and cottonwood~Nature's Notes~110812



There is an oak forest on Highway 74.  I drive through it every time I go visit my horses.  It is on Cahuilla Indian land and they don't encourage trespassers.  In fact, they don't encourage people to stop there at all.  However, this is one of my favorite spots to stop (there are turnouts) and roll down the windows and just LISTEN.  I can hear woodpeckers and noisy scrub jays!  One time I saw 2 deer near this spot.  I've seen coyotes cross the road in this area and a vulture in one of the oak trees.  I am glad they are preserving this area because it would be a terrible thing to be developed.  So, I thank the Cahuilla Indians for allowing me to stop there and breathe in the air and listen to the sounds!  :-)  Nature Notes for November 8, 2012.   To visit Nature Notes, please go to:   http://ramblingwoods.com/

5 comments:

  1. After playing in the snow last night and this morning, it seems odd to see ground! But now I remember what it looks like...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad you can't get out and walk around - but, then, if everyone did that, it wouldn't be so good to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that forest use to be more extensive. Notice the dead branches around the living material ? I'd have to do a bit of history, but it was the Indians on that Santa Rosa Indian Reservation who apparently accidentaly started that fire back in the 1940s that burned to Paradies Corners and along the north face of Thomas Mountain all the way to Lake Hemet.

    My great uncle who died in the late 1980s and was 90+ years old use to hunt in those regions of Thomas Mountain and Garner Valley back in the 1920s & 30s before the war.

    We took him to Idyllwild one last time for a meal and when driving through Garner Valley he said , "Where are all the trees and forests ?" Sounds like an odd thing to say about Garner Valley, but the forests on Thomas mountain's north face came all the way to the Valley floor. Now there is nothing but Chaparral. Even on the north side of Garner Valley those lower foothill steps had forest, but much of that was eaten up by the old time logging mill operations being done from Kenworthy station about where the Caltrans yard is now.

    Anyway your oak forest use to be much greater in size all the way to Paradise corners. It was however on that Res where my wife and I use to collect Interior Live Oak acorns for processing into a sweet nutty meal for pancakes and breads.


    - Nice memory shots. When I come out next summer I'll photograph some old charred Jeffrey Pine stumps on the north side of Hwy 74 towards Palm Springs. and below there at the headwaters of Palm Canyon. Hard to believe the forest once extended that far down in elevation. Especially compared to the elevation far above where it is now.Sad.


    -

    -

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you have a favorite spot just to listen. It is one of my favorite things to do and now it is getting too cold here to do it...Thank you for linking up Cheryl Ann. I hope your school year is going well...Michelle

    ReplyDelete