Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Tree branch~Nature Notes~112912

I spotted this dead pinyon branch one morning as I was out walking around in Pinyon Flats, near the campground.  I have two friends who live up there.  It's a quick 10 minute ride down the hill from Pinyon to the desert.  Our son's best friend just bought a house up there and he's already moved there from the desert.  I always enjoy Pinyon Flats because it is cooler up there in the summer.  And, they DO get snow about 3 or 4 times a year...not a lot, but enough to last a day.  It is pinyon forest up there, with some oaks, and there are a lot of scrub jays.  I believe that our scrub jay, who has now been in our neighborhood for nearly 4 years, came from this area.  Quail are numerous and so are coyotes.  My friend Barbara recently lost her two chickens to a couple of coyotes who dug into her yard, under her electrified fence...:-(  I drive through this area every weekend when I drive up to my horses, who are boarded nearby.  It's quite a change from our desert habitat!  Nature Notes for November 29, 2012.  To view Nature Notes, please go to:   http://ramblingwoods.com/

1 comment:

  1. Oh beautiful blue skies. I am so sorry about the chickens. I guess if you are hungry, you will dig. I love when you post about the scrub jays as they make me think of my own blue jays. I hope the school year is going well for you and that you had a good Thanksgiving.. Michelle

    ReplyDelete