Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pelicans over the valley ~Wild Bird Wednesday~121912



While driving home last Sunday after my trip to the feed store, I saw a flash of white out of the corner of my eye.  Knowing that it wasn't an eagle, I pulled over and grabbed my camera for a closer look.  It was three pelicans!  Pelicans over the Anza Valley!  Now, that's an unusual sight!  I don't know if they got blown in from the Salton Sea or from the Pacific Ocean.  They flew in perfect formation, making twists and turns.  I just sat and watched them.  Fortunately, they were circling overhead and I was able to get some decent photos of them.  I drove down another side street, but by then, they decided to move to another spot and I lost them in the clouds.  Wild Bird Wednesday for December 19, 2012.  Does anybody know what species they are?  I have no idea...   To visit Wild Bird Wednesday and see other birds, please go to:   http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

  1. Great finds!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool sighting of the Pelicans in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great "targets of opportunity"!
    These are American White Pelicans. They typically breed on inland lakes and spend the winters closer to the coast. I understand the Salton Sea has a huge population of these wonderful birds.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love pelicans - ours are all white and I have heaps of pictures of them - I just cant resist taking a few more every time I see them!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete