I saw an article on FACEBOOK today about oceans rising, climate changing, and deserts roasting and I got to thinking, "IS the desert roasting?"
Well, if this summer is any indication...YES, it is!
This wasn't the hottest summer on record, but (at least to me), it has been the LONGEST spell of days over 100 degrees. It started in May and we STILL have days now (in October) of over 100 degrees. This week, it has been in the high 90's. By Saturday, once again, it will be 100 degrees. That's 6 MONTHS of heat. In the 40 years hubby and I have lived here in the desert, I don't EVER remember having 6 months of 100+ degree days. It is nearly UNBEARABLE! I sweat, I am TIRED, and constantly thirsty. My energy level is way down because my body is fighting the heat.
Oh, and at school yesterday, we had a 15 minute fire drill. We had to park the kids on the BASKETBALL COURTS in nearly 100 degree weather ON THE ASPHALT!!! Some nearly fainted. I was wiped out for the rest of the day!!!
Isn't that child abuse? No shade. NO water. It was unbearable. Oh, and we have another one next week!
This hawk has shade, food, AND WATER! No wonder he keeps returning!
In an effort to get into some mild and cooler weather, we've up the coast a couple hundred miles. This area can usually be counted on to cool and sometimes, cold this time of year (and even during the summer). Last week, it was in the high nineties almost every day. This week, much cooler though. We will be home on Monday. Just in time for more heat!
ReplyDeleteHang in there! It has to cool off sometime...
wow, that's a lot of hot days! I feel for you. Even my sis up in SLO talked about the heat they had awhile back. It's cooled off now but it was 100 to 102 at the coast.
ReplyDelete