COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Thursday, January 7, 2016

A break from the El Nino weather today and OUT I WENT!!!

I returned home Tuesday from helping our son and his family move to Temecula.  Now hubby and I will be making trips there to have Saturday night family dinners.  It rained ALL DAY here yesterday and after I got soaked Tuesday, I wasn't about to go ANYWHERE.  PERIOD.  So, I stayed home.  However, today, with a break in the El Nino weather pattern, off I went (after taking our dog Ripley in for her booster shot this morning).

First, I drove out Varner Road and took some photos of the fresh snow on our local mountains.  Then I drove partway up Highway 62 to Morongo Valley, but turned around.  It was too cold and it was raining.  Instead, I wandered around Painted Hills taking photos of windmills.  Next, I drove out to Whitewater Canyon to see all the snow on the San Bernardino mountains, and there was a LOT!  The waterfall back there was running, but the preserve was closed.  There was also runoff over the road to the preserve, but several cars parked and people were out hiking and taking photos.

Then, I encountered a couple of trains heading for Yuma (I guess...) after I stopped by the Cabazon dinosaurs.  Very cold and windy there...I didn't stay long.

Finally, I drove out Indian Avenue (which was closed due to mud)...I didn't cross it, but I did drive through the train depot (if you can call it that...) (The place is HORRIBLE!).  Finally, I drove back home and stopped at Whole Foods to grab a late hot lunch from their deli.  Phew!  What a day!  I was gone 5 hours.

 The view of Mt. San Jacinto from Bob Hope Drive this morning.
 Windmill near Palm Springs, off Varner Road.
 More windmills...
 This is why the road to the Whitewater Preserve was closed.  Cars COULD pass, and several did, but they also scraped the bottom of their cars with the rocks in the road.
 The waterfall was running!  This was my first time to see it with water!
 Cabazon dinosaurs...

And, another fellow and I spotted this train coming, so we both stopped and got our cameras ready!

4 comments:

  1. Having lived in Chino, Rancho Cucamonga and worked from L.A. to Palm Desert, and having visited my folks at Parker, AZ and my dad in Tombstone, AZ and my sister (Sandy) in Crestline and Wrightwood, I am enjoying your beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great photo of the train and then about the time I was looking away ... I noticed the windmills behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think of Pee Wee and Simone when I see those dinosaurs. You never mentioned anything about the recent earthquake in that area. I guess you didn't feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice overview of the Coachella Valley, Cheryl. You've got some great pics and wasn't that an amazing storm! Loved it. There was a spectacular frost in the Morongo Preserve this yesterday morning and I had more camera ready BUT dammed battery was dead!! I'd put a fresh one in, too, so I guess the battery is finally wearing out after 6 years, Oh well...

    ReplyDelete