I was able to book a 3 night stay at our FAVORITE cabin up in Idyllwild (San Jacinto mountains) this week, so off we went. I needed a break from the desert and I REALLY wanted to spend some time up in the tall pines. Our cabin had a nice porch with a railing and I could easily feed the blue jays there. We took our dog, Ripley, with us and she enjoyed the cool air! She would squiggle all over her blanket, enjoying the cool mornings!
Unfortunately, a heat wave has developed over the southwest and it will be HOT up there, too, this weekend. It is 116 here today (ugh!), so we are staying indoors.
I was able to observe rabbits, chipmunks, gray squirrels, a family of quail, and see a male and female woodpecker. I heard the calls of the red tailed hawks who patrol the canyon near the cabin and early one morning I heard the call of an owl (saw-whet owl, I believe)...So, I got my wildlife fix for a while!
Ripley enjoyed walks early in the morning, afternoon, and early evening. She was well behaved in the car and she even stayed on the porch. We DID barricade it so she wouldn't get off it and I was able to tie her on the porch and she stayed on it. We were visited by the owner's English bulldog puppy, "Hank" who showed up during dinner a couple of times!
We drove up Monday at noon and drove home Thursday morning. It was painful returning to the desert, but we are staying indoors.
Here are a few photos from Idyllwild. I'll be posting more tomorrow.
"Hank"
He REALLY wanted to join us for dinner!
Our black lab, Ripley, enjoying the porch!



Such a nice treat to get away into the cool mountain air. Sorry to hear it will be hot again back home.
ReplyDeleteWE were high 90's here in Crestline. I've been looking for rentals online once in awhile, for Idyllwild - haven't seen any really i like. But, i love the area. We have been to the wine and art walk up there before. I took lots of photos years ago like in 2012, and lost them when my computer crashed on me. sigh. I feel a break in temps today so hopefully u are too in the desert - at least going to low 100's for you.
ReplyDeleteNice photos Cheryl! It does get very hot up there sometimes. Say, did you ever go to the pictograph site up there, that we talked about?
ReplyDelete