Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Flowers~Brenda Photo Challenge and "B" for blossoms~Sunday stills Challenge 051010
















These beautiful blossoms are yucca blossoms that we saw during our trip to Joshua Tree National Park last month. While we didn't take the RAV, Joshua Tree does have several dirt roads that hikers use to go back into various hiking trails. Actually, these were right off the road past the Cottonwood Springs entrance, where we entered the park. Aren't they lovely? They are pollinated by the yucca moth and it is the only species to pollinate them. Without the moth, there wouldn't be any yucca blossoms! I just noticed some today, up Highway 74, in Palm Desert, that are blooming and I'll stop by a couple of mornings next week and take photos of some of them. Additionally, since it is May, the saguaro are opening their blossoms, too. They bloom during the night, but early in the morning, you can still see them open. So, this post is brought to you by both Brenda's Photo Challenge and Sunday Stills Challenge for May 10, 2010. http://brendaphotochallenge.blogspot.com/

12 comments:

  1. Love the photos. We have some yucca plants here in western New York and this morning there was snow on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Yucca. We have one in our backyard. When hubby retired, he decided that he was a gardener. (not) He's moved my poor yucca three times. Now I have Yucca's growing in the three spots because he didn't get all the roots. They are definitely hardy plants. Beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Those are some fabulous blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Yucca lesson..I really enjoyed it! It is a beautiful bloom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. We had them in Texas as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I posted the Yucca Flowers earlier this week too. Mine were found at the Lytle Creek area along the I15 along the Cajon Pass. They are beautiful, aren't they! I think my husband and I are headed for the desert today...maybe we will see even more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I had never seen one in bloom! They are pretty amazing! Lucky you to be able to see them in person. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow those are amazing. So unique looking. Very interesting about moth. I've seen Yucca plants before but I had no idea about the moth necessary for them to bloom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos.

    Living in Central Texas, we have desert like flowers but nothing like these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing flowers that are found in the desert areas of this country!!! This is Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glorious!! I didn't know that about the moth. I had yucca out by my driveway for awhile and I had some blooms but none so numerous as those in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Candles of Heaven is what we called them down in Georgia.... Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete