The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Pushawalla Canyon~Nature Notes 051310











As I continued my hike into Pushawalla Canyon, I was amazed by the beauty there. You cannot see the canyon from the road. I've lived here in the desert over 30 years and I never knew this canyon was there! My cousin often rides her horses here (that's her on one of her horses), but until this Spring, I had never visited it. She kept telling me, "Oh, come on! I want to show you something else!" But, when we got to the running water, I turned back as I did not wish to wade through it! It's different when you are up on a horse and I wasn't on horseback. I enjoyed my visit to the hidden canyon and would like to go back sometime with my husband. It's always interesting to find an oasis like this one in the desert, but they are fairly common here. The reason they are so common is that they occur along our fault lines. The San Andreas fault runs through our valley and thus there are several oases. The water actually bubbles up from cracks in the crust and palm trees grow along these fault lines. Tomorrow I'll show you some of the geological features that indicate fault activity. Nature Notes for May 13, 2010.

7 comments:

  1. How neat to find little hidden treasures. I can see why you wouldn't want to wade into it. We are on a fault here in western NY and have had tremors and some that did some minor damage, but not serious...I look forward to your future posts...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place for a hike. Also looks great for riding on a horse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool place, how deep is the water. Maybe a pair of muck boots would work for you to walk thru it. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen, I have no idea how deep the water is there. I wasn't about to wade through it! Maybe if hubby and I go back sometime...you also can't go up and around it. You either go through it or turn back, like I did. I'd love to investigate it...maybe on horseback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, what a great place to discover! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having the horse made a difference - doesn't it figure that our approach gives us a different perspective. That's a really neat spot.

    ReplyDelete