Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Cooper's hawks~Nature Notes~081811

While we are here, up on the Mogollon Rim, I've discovered some interesting animals.  The first ones I discovered was the family of Cooper's hawks which seem to live in the forest behind the cabins.  Early one morning, I heard, "screech, screech, screech" and went out to investigate.  There were 3 of them in a pine tree...a momma and two youngsters.  Apparently they were getting ready to go out on their morning hunt because right after that, all 3 headed out, across the highway.  Mom and one of the youngins' came back, but the other one didn't.  And she called and she called and she called.  She finally stopped about noon and then started up in the late afternoon, so I went out to investigate.  He/she was back and had a...rodent.  I'm not sure why Mom was chirping.  I notice that when they are around, all the other birds disappear!  I've now seen them every morning and afternoon and they don't seem to stray far from one of the trees out back. I can identify pulling out one's hair...these two keep this mother hawk busy ALL DAY!  She must be exhausted by night!  To read more Nature Notes, please go to:  http://ramblingwoods.com/ 
***UPDATE***It's now 5:52 a.m. and mom is out there, already calling to the young ones!

3 comments:

  1. This Iowa farmwife is enjoying your blog. Its fun to see scenery from another part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice find, man he blends right in ey?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lucky find...I only see them as they zip into the feeder area and never have seen a family...

    ReplyDelete