Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Looking for JUST the right spot~That's My World~080911






I love to watch my horses when they are led down to the arena.  This is their "free time".  They all love to roll and here is Sunni looking for just the right spot in a huge manure pile!  Apparently he found it TWICE!  He does roll all the way over, but after getting one side covered with manure, he got up and rolled the other side.  He is learning to THINK instead of just REACT and I'm proud of his training!  It was windy on this day and I took him out for some work in the round pen and other stuff.  I suddenly realized that the trees' leaves were blowing.  He did spook at the tie rack, but settled right down.  He also spooked a little while I was walking him up to the round pen.  BUT, he didn't spin and bolt.  That's a big step for this horse, who is VERY aware of his surroundings and worries about them.  He's learning to THINK and not just react!  I'm pleased to see this improvement in him...maybe it is just maturity?  That's My World for Tuesday, August 9, 2011. To see other participants, please go to:  http://showyourworld.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

  1. What a cute series of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look satisfying, except for the manure part. Glad Sunni is learning the world is OK and safe for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaelyn, it has taken him a LONG time! He's 7 years old now. He is a PMU gelding, which means his mother was bred for her urine. He is the unwanted by-product! He's a quarter horse/draft...from a PMU ranch in Michigan. THANK GOD they are out of business...this was horrible for the babies. Many of them were sent to slaughter. Fortunately he was rescued by United Pegasus and I adopted him from them when he was two years old. He still has issues with MEN and is very distrustful of sudden movements, but he's come a long way and I will continue to work and desensitize him. He is VERY aware of everything around him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. they ALWAYS find the stinky piles! :)

    thanks for the gorgeous header photo and the explanation of it on your side bar. just wonderful! and thanks for your comment on my blog so i could follow you back here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely great photoessay! I was saying "aahhh, that feels good" along with that glorious creature. It reminded me of Baloo in The JUngle Book film saying "that calls for some real scratchin' ".

    ReplyDelete