Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Bodie





After grabbing sandwiches in Bridgeport yesterday, we drove out to Bodie.  Bodie is an old mining town high up on a plateau, about 8,000 feet elevation.  You drive 13 miles back off Highway 395 and the last 3 miles are dirt.  After Tuesday's afternoon thunderstorms, we weren't sure what kind of condition the road was in, but it was fine.  There were scattered thunderheads all around and we figured we'd get in and out before an afternoon thunderstorm.  The clouds really added a depth to the skies there.  Unfortunately, it was midday and about 90 degrees, and in the heat, we only lasted about an hour!   :-(  Plus, we didn't set out with a lot of water and there is NO water up in Bodie.  But, we enjoyed our time there anyway!  Don't the clouds just add a layer of perspective?

5 comments:

  1. That's a fascinating place! I would love to visit that spot. Thanks for sharing your images and experience with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy seeing Bodie... I haven't been there in a long time.. one of the times I have been there (always went with my parents as a teenager) We got socked by a hailstorm.... and on another we ended up having to drive a long way around to get home, because they closed Tioga road....made for a really long day, lol
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great shots of the cabin in Bodie and the pretty sky above it. My niece and her family were just there recently and she said they all really enjoyed it. Her sons (12, 9 and 5) thought it was fascinating as did she and her husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding your question about other ideas for helping students learn the math facts, I've heard several elementary school teachers mention that they sing the multiplication facts, but I'm not familiar with how they sing them.

    You probably already know the pattern of the nine-times table. Example: in 9x2=18, you subtract 1 from the 2 to get 1, and then 8 goes after the one, because the digits must add up to 9.

    9x4=36 Subtract 1 from 4 to get 3, and then 6 goes after the 3 because the digits must add up to 9.

    The two-digit product of all the 9-times facts always add up to 9.

    But, probably everyone already knows that. I recall discovering patterns like this when I was in elementary school. I was and am still a nerd!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never been to Bodie but always wanted to go. Just never in the area at the right time. Thanks for sharing the pictures, I enjoyed them.

    I remember those math tricks Pat was referring to. I found that fascinating as a kid and have taught those concepts to my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete