COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

How much hair can a horse shed? A LOT!





Some of you were asking how much hair my horses shed.  The top two photos show one of my thoroughbred rescues, Gigondas.  She doesn't have a lip tattoo, so she never raced.  HA~she should have!  This mare LOVES to run!  Anyway, she's about 12 years old now.  I don't ride her.  She lives the life of luxury.  She leads well and I walk her around the ranch, then I let her run, run, run in the large arena.  When she's done (when she remembers that she gets a treat), she quietly stands at the arena gate.  Anyway, she has very fine hair and doesn't shed much, but she does shed, as you can see.  Then, there is Lucille, who I inherited after her owner defaulted on her board.  Lucille is half Tennessee Walker and half draft and she is gaited.  She's also about 12-14 years old and is rideable!  SHE has a LOT of hair, as you can see.  That's my trainer, Maia, brush, brush, brushing her.  LOOK at all the hair on the ground.  I need to brush her out again this week~maybe one afternoon after school.

4 comments:

  1. There must be some smart person somewhere that could weave all that fur into a nice sweater. If you find one who does that, send me the sweater. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do shed a lot this time of year.....and you don't have an icelandic....I could easily get a grocery bag of hair five times a week this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do shed a lot this time of year.....and you don't have an icelandic....I could easily get a grocery bag of hair five times a week this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heck, we have trouble keeping up with the shedding of our house cats. I can't imagine a horse. It's so nice of you to rescue them. A lot of people don't realize how much personality they have.

    ReplyDelete