A lot of the fort is well preserved, including the general's quarters, as well as the officers' houses. The enlisted men barracks are in a shambles, however. There is a post office, a school, and I believe a medical office, too.
The parade ground still stands, too, silent and well worn...
We always try to stop by the fort when we visit the Mogollon Rim. It sits on Apache land, next to a river. The water supply kept the fort going. We finally visited the cemetery there a couple of years ago and I'll have to look for those photos. I found these this afternoon while going through my external hard drive photos. I've come a long way in 2 years. I no longer take 5 photos of the same object or scene! If I don't get it in two shots now, I move on!
By the way, hubby and I have now been to Fort Apache three times. EVERY time we've gone there, we've both had "the creeps". On this last visit, I do believe I saw two ghosts...a girl of about 10 wearing a long, black velvet dress. She had ringlets in her hair and she was talking to a boy about her age who was wearing tattered jeans and who was barefoot. She was talking to him, but I couldn't hear a word she was saying. They completely ignored me. I've tried to look her up on various Fort Apache websites to see who she was, but I haven't had any luck...
Yep, I'm a one or two shooter as well. We've never been to Fort Apache but have been to Fort Bowie just southeast of Wilcox Arizona. Geronimo was held there for awhile & the area was a hotbed for battles between the Indians & the Cavalry. A lot of history there. And I know what you mean by some places giving one a creepy feeling. Had that feeling walking around the battlefield at Custer's last stand. Few other historic places as well. The Birdcage Theatre in Tombstone arizona was another one.
ReplyDeleteOh, yes...I remember the Birdcage Theater. Yes, it was creepy. When I was in high school, my parents and I visited some Civil War battlefields in Virginia...got the "creepy" feeling there as well. I could just feel the spirits of those departed...
ReplyDeleteI liked Fort Apache, though I have only been there once. I'd lie to go back with a better camera and take a few more pictures!
ReplyDeleteI had no idea that it was in such good shape!
ReplyDelete