COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Quad running

I was sitting at my desk this afternoon, going through some of my old photos on my horse blog (http:deserthorses.blogspot.com) and I came across this photo of my off-the-track thoroughbred, Quad.  I took this one last July.  He was kinda "off" the last couple of weeks and I figured that Tuesday, if he wasn't back to his normal perky self (like in this photo...) I would have to call the vet.  So, since Tuesday is horse lesson day, my trainer and I took him down to the arena.  She unleashed him and OFF he went, running, bucking, snorting, and farting.  Guess he felt okay!   :-)  Phew!  Then, he took a couple of nice rolls and went off again running.  She did say that she thought he got dehydrated in our heat spell a couple of weeks ago.  I'd like to put another water container in his corral and I may do that this weekend.  He does have a huge tank, but, I've NEVER seen him drink out of it.  Anyway, I liked this photo and wanted to share it because in it, as you can see, he has 3 feet off the ground.  I'd love to capture him running, but he's so darn quick that I can't get in position!  I'm glad I at least caught this one.  Did you know he is a great-great-grandson of BOTH Secretariat and Affirmed?  Well, he is and he also has Man O'War in his pedigree.  His gray color comes from his dam's side (his mother) and can be traced back generations.  He is a very sweet horse.  He just didn't want to run, so he and 2 other geldings were shipped off to a horse rescue in Northern California and from there he came down to me.  Hubby and I actually took a trip up to the rescue in 2008 and I met Quad when he just came off the track.  OTTBs (off the track thoroughbreds) need some "down" time to relax, get their shoes pulled, and get off any drugs they've had while on the track.  He went out to foster care for a year, but in 2009, he came down to me.  I'm fortunate to have him.  He's very laid back~~too laid back to be a serious contender at the track!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun horse, Cheryl Ann, and a really great photo! Looks downright perky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! You have a really great site! I'm glad to have stumbled upon it! I was wondering if you feature guest postings. Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete