Sue, over at RV Sue and crew, just lost her beloved Spike. Here's the link to her story: http://rvsueandcrew.net/a-special-day/
I read the news with tears this morning. I've had a rocky week myself. Quad, my off the track thoroughbred, colicked Friday afternoon. The vet came out, examined him, gave him a shot for pain, and then tubed him (mineral oil). The oil makes the sand in his intestines slip out (or that is the theory). He was still in pain Saturday, so he got another shot, and a little pellet mash. NO alfalfa. We knew he had sand in him when the vet came out last month to give the herd their annual shots. ALL were put on psyllium. I have rubber mats for each horse, but they pull out their alfalfa, fling it all around, and then eat it off the sand. By Sunday, when I was able to drive up to the ranch, he was still in pain, but walking and drinking water. He had passed a few small piles of poop, but not a lot, and not a lot of sand. So, we said that if by Monday, he hadn't passed more sand, we would have to get the vet back again. He got another shot for pain, until the ranch owner ran out of banamine. By Monday afternoon, THANK GOODNESS, he passed a huge pile of sand, then another one Monday night. Phew. I spent 3 sleepless nights worrying about him and even stumbled to school yesterday without makeup. ACK! We have talked and will now switch him to pellets, which, while they do fall on the ground, should make it less likely Quad will be eating sand along with them.
Frankly, I think ALL the horses should be switched to pellets. I've HAD IT with alfalfa. It's too rich for them, they eat sand while trying to get to the alfalfa...
Any ideas/suggestions?
No comments:
Post a Comment