Here are some photos. The first one is from the Toro Peak webcam, looking down in to the Coachella Valley. You can see the haboob. Others are from my cell phone after the haboob hit and left...I didn't go outside when it was overhead!
I dedicate this blog to my father, who first put a camera in my hands when I was 12 and who took me to many of the places that I love today.
COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.
Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more
Friday, August 22, 2014
We had a HABOOB here yesterday!!!
We had our second haboob of the summer here in the Coachella Valley yesterday afternoon. And, this one was a real hum-dinger! I saw it as I left school in Coachella. The whole eastern end of the valley was dusty. About an hour later, it hit our home in Palm Desert....a sudden wind from the east (our winds usually come from the west)...it got dark, the tree limbs were swirling, the birds disappeared...and WHOSH! it hit. We had rain at some point during the day, as I discovered when I drove home. There was standing water by the sidewalks and even out in the street. Our yard was soaked! A haboob is a SEVERE dust storm, and this one even knocked over some trees here in the valley!
Here are some photos. The first one is from the Toro Peak webcam, looking down in to the Coachella Valley. You can see the haboob. Others are from my cell phone after the haboob hit and left...I didn't go outside when it was overhead!
Here are some photos. The first one is from the Toro Peak webcam, looking down in to the Coachella Valley. You can see the haboob. Others are from my cell phone after the haboob hit and left...I didn't go outside when it was overhead!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Now I know what a haboob is! I have heard of them and didn't understand. I sure do now! Does the dust filtrate into your home with doors closed?
ReplyDeleteNan, I really don't know...with a German Shepherd (German "shedder"), our house is FULL of dog hair anyway. And, dust. We have a fairly new front door. I didn't really see any new dust, but our front porch was a MESS! My car has dust all over it, the driveway was a mess until our gardener came this morning and blew it all out into the street!
ReplyDeleteCheryl Ann