COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Hummingbirds in the morning


As I sit at my laptop every morning, I look outside the window at the bird feeders.  The little hummers are the first to arrive each morning.  Then, little sparrows and finches.  Starting tomorrow, I'll have to dash off to work (ugh!), but I've had 9 days to enjoy their antics.  Apparently there are 3 of them who come to feed at this feeder.  A large one, a smaller one, and I saw one with a black head.  The big one chases off the little hummingbird and they put on quite a show.  I also have a feeder in the back yard and, again, two of them seem to claim that feeder.  I went out yesterday and bought my sunflower and hollyhock and sweet pea seeds and I'll plant them today out front and in the back, along the chain link fence.  I soaked my sweet pea seeds overnight so that they will sprout faster and I've been throwing my old coffee grounds out there so prepare the soil for them!   :-)  Wish me luck this year!  We have a storm system coming in later this week, with rain forecast, so hopefully that will encourage all the seeds to sprout!

Unfortunately, while I was planting the hollyhock seeds out front, I came across an ant hill (big RED ants) and one of them bit me on the neck!  Man, that was PAINFUL!  And, of course, I have no idea how it crawled up on my neck!  I put baking soda on it and an hour later, I pretty much forgot about it.  I'll plant the rest of the seeds, including a bee, butterfly, and desert mix out front.

2 comments:

  1. I love your header photo. Good luck with your seeds. We are all waiting for that rain, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete