COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Quad

My off-the-track thoroughbred, Quad, is very sick right now.  The vet came out Wednesday, tubed him, examined him, and wanted to put him down then and there.  Even with TWO rubber mats, he eats sand constantly and he has a slab of sand in his stomach and now has additional sand rubbing around.  He doesn't seem to be in too much pain, (he isn't stretching and he isn't thrashing), but he has horrible diarrhea and definitely isn't his usual perky self.  I drove up there yesterday afternoon to talk to the owner and see how he was doing.  NOT GOOD.  He, of course, isn't eating much, but we tried to get some psyllium into him, as well as soaked chia seeds.  The chia seeds make a very nice, thick gel.  He DID eat some of them with a few pellets. She will keep an eye on him today, give him some psyllium pellets,  and I'll go back tomorrow morning.  He's only 11, which isn't old for a horse.  HOWEVER, he keeps eating sand!  I saw him do it twice myself!  And, that's AFTER I swept off his rubber mats.  He moves off the mats to eat sand in his corral.  That seems to be a bad habit that he has.


He looks horrible...head down, ribs showing...that's because he isn't eating.  Please send prayers that he makes it.  He's such a love bug.  I hugged him and told him I love him...I know he understood...

1 comment: