COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Monday, June 17, 2013

I took a drive yesterday...

I took a drive about 5:00 p.m. yesterday while hubby was taking a nap.  I'd had a short one earlier and wanted to get out and see Silver Lake in the late afternoon.  After all, one can't sleep through a Sierra vacation, right?  So, off I went, just me and the XTerra...I pulled into the now nearly empty parking lot at one of the favorite fishing spots at the north end of Silver Lake.  There was only one car in the lot and two fishermen were out on the lake in little, round floating tubs.  I even spotted a small island in the lake.  I'd never seen that island before, but I had seen photos of it, so I was delighted to find it.  Here are some photos from my afternoon excursion.  Oh, we'd driven down to Bishop in the morning to buy a couple of throw blankets.  Our cabin has two rocker/recliner chairs that tilt up and back and we like to take "power naps" in them.  We also bought a pot to boil spaghetti in and some items at KMart, Vons, and Smart & Final.  Hubby made spaghetti for dinner last night and we had a salad with it...yummy!  Why does everything taste so much better in the mountains? Maybe it's because we are hungrier?  We've gone from an elevation of 200 feet above sea level to over 7,000 feet at the cabin here in the Sierras. We also drove up Bishop Canyon, but Bishop itself was 90 degrees, so after a lunch of sandwiches from Schatz' Bakery in Bishop, we headed back to the cabin.  Out of the 9 cabins in our little neck of the woods, we were the only occupied one...that is, until a raccoon bounded up the steps and checked out the leftover birdseed on the porch!  All photos are at Silver Lake.  The June Lake loop is a side road off Highway 395 which goes into the little mountain town of June Lake, CA.  There are four lakes there:  June Lake, Gull Lake, Silver Lake, and Grant Lake.  These lakes feed into the Los Angeles Metropolitan Water Department and provide water for the citizens of Los Angeles, as do the lakes in Bishop Canyon.  The June Lake lakes are all stocked with fish in May and they provide fishing all season for fishermen (and women) from all over.  In fact, one of the other cabins had a whole family out fishing.  I saw their waders hanging off the porch railing to dry.  Hubby and I don't fish...we just take photographs of the fishermen!  I'll have to do that...maybe today.





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos - I hope you enjoy your time in the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your photos...but then I love the eastern sierras. No place quite like it. I can remember camping at Silver Lake as a child. Love that loop.

    ReplyDelete