COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Mockingbird at my birdbath~Wild Bird Wednesday~061213

We've had families of mockingbirds in our neighborhood for many, many years.  Actually, for as long as I can remember.  I do remember one spring hearing the cries of a distressed bird and looking out in the corner of our front yard where our cat had a baby mockingbird cornered.  I grabbed the baby (after a few unsuccessful tries) and couldn't locate a nest, so I took it up to the Living Desert Reserve.  The parents were around and were dive bombing me, but, with several cats in the yard, I didn't want to leave the baby unattended.  Since then, they have nested either somewhere in our yard or across the street in the palm trees.  I always see them either in our yard or next door.  But, they never alight to eat.  This one did stop to enjoy the new bird bath!   :-)  So far, he's the only bird I've seen who has actually used it!  They always show up right after I mow the lawn out back.  Apparently they enjoy the grubs which are there and which they can get to after a fresh mowing.  I'm glad we have them in our neighborhood and we are serenaded every Spring with their nightly calls.  Wild Bird Wednesday for June 12, 2013.   To visit WBW, please go to:   http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com/




7 comments:

  1. I wish the birds would come to my bird bath too., Unfortunately we have too many troughs for sheep and cattle for them to be interested in a bird bath close to the house.
    The mockingbird is a very pretty songster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great series on the Mocker! They are cool birds to have around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so lovely to see the bird life that we will never see over here in the UK. Our local birds always come out after the grass has been mown

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, Mockers have such great antics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice photos! I love Mocking Birds. They have so much personality and are fun to watch. There is one that runs through his entire bird call list every morning (very early).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post. Your header image is stunning, you really get drawn into it, well done

    ReplyDelete