COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Wind turbines

If you haven't read Al's post this morning (http://thebayfieldbunch.com/2013/09/rained-most-of-day-but-we-all-piled-in.html) about taking a drive in the country and blogging, please do so.  He talks about how he and his wife Kelly went for a drive to see a 4 acre farm in Ontario, but he spotted wind turbine blades about 1,000 yards from the property.  That's too bad.  Those things make a LOT of noise!  I know because we have them here in the Coachella Valley.  They are in Desert Hot Springs, and along Highway 62, which goes to Yucca Valley.  Palm Springs has them, too, mainly off Indian Canyon Drive.  And, those things are LOUD!  They may look graceful, but the noise would certainly drive anybody INSANE!  I stopped once to take photos of the ones up off Highway 62 and I could NOT believe the noise!  And, there were houses, Al, RIGHT NEXT TO THOSE THINGS!  Those poor people!  They probably can't or couldn't afford to leave.  I went through my archived photos and came up with these.  Beautiful?  Maybe.  NOISY?  DEFINITELY!!!  I'm glad to see that now our local community college put up solar panel shade structures and I also saw some at Cathedral City high school.  Apparently THAT is the new energy - saving measure.  Some weekend I'll drive back out there and take photos of the houses right under these things!!!  I honestly don't know how the folks there put up with all their noise!



5 comments:

  1. Good to know about the noise...of which in all my environmental reading I hadn't ever heard! They look ok, but they are always in motion aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are also dangerous. They maim and kill birds, as well as other wildlife. They have been known to explode during storms. They have also fallen, taking out semi trucks and cars along roads. They do not store energy, either. Solar energy can be stored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perrin Wind Farm was errected only a few years ago south of Grand Canyon NP. They are terribly noisy, kill birds and bats, and are visual at night as a line of red lights from the North Rim. Come on AZ, use solar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first I've heard of noise issues with wind turbines. How astonishing. I've heard of them killing/maiming birds and bats but this is new information. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've passed them often in the car but never knew they made noise. Poor people who live nearby!

    Glad to read above that the trees are green.

    I can't wait for snow though.

    ReplyDelete