COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pinyon forest

Every time I travel to visit the horse ranch where I board my horses, I pass through several zones.  I leave the desert floor and first travel through the pinyon forest.  I love this area because it has scrub jays and I deeply miss our jay.  He stayed with us nearly 4 years, in our neighborhood.  I learned a lot just from watching him.  I would stop above the pinyon forest, in the oak forest, and gather acorns for him.  How he loved his acorns.  Unfortunately, when the hawks moved into our neighborhood, he disappeared (or was eaten...)  No more scrub jay.  I never found his feathers, but I'm sure one of the hawks got him....sigh... Anyway, after the pinyon forest, I travel through an area of oak trees, which is on Indian land.  After that, the tall pines (Ponderosa?) of the area by Garner Valley.  But, I especially enjoy the pinyon forest and I frequently stop there to take photos, like these I took last Sunday.  I'm heading up there this morning to check on the horses, buy pellets, and do some chores at the ranch.



3 comments:

  1. i always enjoy your scenic photos of trees.

    One of the first birds to visit when we moved to Crestline this last month was the Stellar Jay (and I always leave peanuts on the deck railing for them). Also we have a few mountain chickadees and lots of juncos. I saw two Northern Flickers the other day but that's about it. Can't wait to see more birds soon. I keep buying various types of seeds trying to romance them into stopping by.

    I had so many different kinds in Wrightwood. There have been a lot of bugs lately flying around so they are probably eating them.

    I envy the fact you have horses to visit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a forest person as well & do enjoy getting back to our land of big trees every Spring. You really have the best of both worlds being able to traverse the changes in flora & fauna in just a short period of time. I'll beep the horn for ya when we reach Mecca sometime today.....if we go that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice photos. Even better when I enlarged them. I agree with about scrub jays. They are so smart and have so much personality. Two of them used to hang around our house so much that we gave them names. Sid Vicious and Johnny Rotten. If we left a door open, they would come into the house. We kept a bowl of peanuts sitting on a table close to the door. If we didn't move around much they would explore and even let us touch them. I don't know why, but they never flew around while in the house. Not even if they got spooked. One day they also disappeared. I've always opted to believe that they just moved on.

    ReplyDelete