So, our daughter and SIL looked at some model homes in Phase II of their development and found one with a "granny apartment". Apparently it is a bedroom, bath, a small bar, refrigerator, and microwave next to the main house. The main house would have 4 bedrooms, which they will need if they wish to expand their family. They are still debating that situation.
For $800 a month, we could live there. That's the difference between their current mortgage and the one at the new house, with the "granny" pad. They've offered the granny pad to us. That, is, IF they sell their current house and order one of the Phase II ones, AND we decide to do this with them. Oh, and I believe it would also have a pool.
I like this (above photo)
I REALLY don't like this attitude!!! REAL tears were coming out yesterday after breakfast.
This would be a couple of years away, as the houses aren't even built yet. However, they want us to let them know if we want to do this.
Hmmmm....has anyone out there done this with your kids?
I worry that it MIGHT be too close and too much "togetherness". We LIKE our independence. However, it would save us about $1200 a month (mortgage, taxes, insurance). And, we would be close to our daughter and her family.
HOWEVER, I would have to retire by then and be the live-in babysitter. I'm planning to retire in June of 2016 anyway. I'm not too keen on being a full-time, live in babysitter. I LIKE my independence. Our dream has been to retire and live some place where there are mountains and TREES, not the desert. We've lived in the desert for...let's see...me for 40 years and hubby for 55. We would NOT be able to bring our dog, who is currently 8 years old, and certainly not our cat, Abby, since daughter is allergic to EVERYTHING with 4 legs! I'm NOT giving up my dog!
BUT, as you know, we aren't getting any younger. It would be nice to have family nearby (they already live about 12 miles away). Company would be nice, too, since hubby and I mostly spend our time here at home in our own offices on our laptops! We wouldn't have a yard to maintain and ALL of our appliances are 15 years old and will probably konk out in the next year or so. AND, our air conditioner will konk out one shortly. The inside part is 17 years old and the outside compressor is 12...sigh...and that would be a HUGE expense for us! We would have to downsize A LOT and we would get rid of one car and probably get something smaller. We would NOT have to deal with trees and dead lawns and yard maintenance, which would be a good thing, since it's up to me anyway and I'm too old and sore and crabby to deal with most of the yard anyway...
Has anyone done this? What are the pros and cons? I would LOVE to hear your ideas and thoughts about this.


12 miles away is nothing. My kids both moved from Arizona to the east coast. I would love to have the 12 miles.
ReplyDeleteIf you are needing to get out from under all the maintenance and expense of your home, you should just sell it and move into an apartment that allows pets
ReplyDeleteYou mentioned being ready to retire. If you are only 65 you are far too young to move in with your children. Get an apartment, enjoy some freedom doing anything for a while.
Think a long time before committing to this. We have by default fallen into the handy babysitter routine for our two very young grands.
ReplyDeleteI like everything but the babysitting part.
ReplyDeleteRetirement can be a long time. I agree with other comments. Think hard before you lock yourselves into a long-term commitment.
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid the animals would be the deal breaker. You can always travel part time to enjoy your independence, sharing sitter duties with someone else as needed. The lack of maintenance, the time with your family, the downsized lifestyle all sound wonderful. But I couldn't get rid of the furkid.
ReplyDelete